|Testimonials||Photos||Contact Us||Home||Day Of Respect|
"Day Of Respect"
June 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA….Local merchant Bruce F. Burton, owner of The Original Pretty Boyz Barber Shop is founder and organizer of the 2nd annual “Day of Respect” in the Ogontz/West Oak Lane neighborhood. This event will be held on Saturday June 17, 2006 starting at 11:00 am on the 6800 block of Ogontz Avenue Philadelphia. PA, 19138 until 6:00 pm.
The purpose of the day, as described by Mr. Burton, is “to deliberately create a space where the community – both young and old – interacts with one another in an atmosphere of friendship and peace.” The “Day of Respect” is an attempt to create an example of mutual respect in order to counteract the pervasive and persistent images and messages of violence to which we are subject to daily. Mr. Burton’s dream is that the “Day of Respect” will evolve into a week, a month and then a year where the communities join forces to uphold respect and stop the violence.
· A Spoken Word Contest,
· Guest speaker Rick Williams, News Anchor of Channel 6 will speak at 12:00 pm.
· A Meet and Greet with Professionals (i.e. Doctors, Educators, Lawyers, Truck Drivers, etc.).
· Also expert Chess Player and Certified Chess Coach, Laurence Pugh, who took Saint Josephs Prep to the Championship & Finals 15 years straight, will be in attendance playing ten boards simultaneously.
· Face Painting by Police Officers.
· Two on Two Basketball Tournament, and a host of other Fun Activities and Games for the Youth and Adults.
This will be coined as one of the most positive events in the “City Of Brotherly Love” on June 17, 2006. There are still spaces available to set up your table displays and/or banners. Let’s be proactive and not wait for another tragedy to occur. Support the “Day of Respect!” Help bring the respect and hope back to our communities.
Volunteers and sponsors are still needed. For more information, Please contact Mr. Bruce F. Burton at (610) 416-7477 or (215) 927-7777.